Thursday, April 12, 2007

Little Boxes

I've begun rehearsals on a new short play entitled "Theme and Variations" by playwright Steven Gridley. This is not a paying job. After agonizing chats with my pride, I decided to just accept the work. This was due, in large part, to the quality of the piece. In the last few months, I've auditioned for some coveted jobs at some cool theatres, both in New York and regionally. I have not booked any of them. It may be because I suck, but it's more likely that my apathy toward each of these plays shines through in the audition room. I'm not proud of that at all. I want to be the actor that can elevate mediocre material, but most of me just comments on the play while I act it out. It's like I'm winking at the creative team.

Anyway, that's not the case here because this play is quite good. The time I've spent away from paid acting work has been a test of my mettle. And thoughtful plays about grief make me still want to keep at this horrific business.

No comments: